15+ Fun Facts About Christmas & The Holiday Season
Christmas surprises…..Fun and Interesting Christmas facts that we never knew ourselves, so we wanted to share! How many of these did you already know???
BIG FACTS WE CAN’T BARK AT, because they are true: Americans spend an average of $7 billion on their pets during the holidays and more than $70 billion annually. Guess we love our fur babies very much!!
Some of the top children’s gifts sold throughout the years. How many did you have?
- Parcheesi Game – 1867
- Teddy Bear – 1903
- Monopoly Game – 1936
- View Master – 1938
- Legos – 1947
- Candy Land – 1949
- Play-doh – 1955
- Barbie Doll – 1959
- Rubik’s Cube – 1980
- Cabbage Patch Kid – 1983
- Care Bears – 1985
- Beanie Baby – 1995
- Tickle Me Elmo – 1996
- Razor Scooter – 2000
- Furbie – the New Generation – 2013
- Hatchimals – 2016
- Christmas, New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Independence Day were first declared a U.S. National Holidays by Congress and Ulysses S. Grant, on June 26, 1870
- The first Christmas Card was printed in London in 1843
- Each year more than 3 billion Christmas Cards are sent in the U.S. alone
- US scientists calculated that Santa would have to visit 822 homes a second to deliver all the world’s presents on Christmas Eve, traveling at 650 miles a second
- Christmas lights were invented in 1882, by Edward Johnson
- White Christmas by Bing Crosby is the best-selling record of all time
- Toys for Tots originated in 1947
- Although many people believe the day after Thanksgiving is the busiest shopping day of the year, the truth is the Friday and Saturday before Christmas are busier
- Christmas Trees have been sold in the U.S. since 1850
- 1/4 of all Gift Cards purchased for Christmas are never used
- In 1950, the world’s largest Christmas tree was placed in the Washington Mall – 221 ft. high
- The Statue of Liberty was a Christmas gift to the United States from France in 1886
- 86% of people asked said spending time with family and friends was the best part of Christmas
- Many people consume up to 7000 calories on Christmas Day-WOWIE!!
- The average Christmas tree takes 7 years to grow to a height of 6-7 feet
- Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver
- NORAD’s “Santa Tracker” was born from a misprint in the newspaper. A 1955 Sears ad was supposed to print the number of a store where children could call and tell Santa what they wanted for Christmas. The number printed was to the hotline of the Director of Operations for the U.S. Continental Air Defense. Colonel Shoup ordered his staff to give the children updates on the flight coordinates of Santa
Whatever you do for the holidays and Christmas, remember to be thankful for all you have….WE at Pet Treater are very thankful and appreciative of all of you!
Many barks and purrs for you during the holiday season!